Getting rid of excess hair with a laser is a common and reliable practice. But you may wonder if the effects last, and the easy response is “yes,” but the more detailed explanation is somewhat more complicated. Therefore, it is necessary to investigate the fundamentals of laser hair removal to understand why answering the question “is it permanent?” can be pretty complicated.
How Laser Hair Removal Works
Laser hair removal uses a powerful beam of light, or laser, to target the melanin, or pigment, in hair follicles. The laser energy is soaked by melanin and damages the follicle, preventing or significantly reducing hair growth in that area.
Different lasers can be used for hair removal, including alexandrite, diode, Nd: YAG, and intense pulsed light (IPL). Each laser type has a different light wavelength and works best on individual hair and skin colors.
For example, alexandrite lasers have a wavelength of 755 nm and are best for lighter skin tones and dark hair. Diode lasers have an 800-810 nm wavelength and are best for all skin types and hair colors. Nd: YAG lasers have a wavelength of 1064 nm and are best for darker skin tones and lighter hair. IPL lasers are a newer technology that uses a broad spectrum of light and can be used on a wide range of hair and skin colors.
During a laser hair removal treatment, the laser is directed at the area of unwanted hair, and the melanin absorbs the energy in the hair follicles. The heat from the laser impairs the hair follicles, preventing them from producing new hair. The surrounding tissue also absorbs the laser energy, which can cause discomfort or pain during the treatment.
It’s necessary to comment that laser hair removal only targets the hair in the active growth phase, or anagen phase, so multiple treatment sessions are typically needed to target all the hair follicles in an area. The number of treatment sessions required can vary from person to person, depending on the area being treated, the individual’s hair color and thickness, and their skin tone.
How Our BBL Laser Technology Is Different From Other Laser Hair Removal Methods
BBL, or broadband light, is a type of intense pulsed light (IPL) laser technology used for laser hair removal and other cosmetic treatments. BBL laser technology differs from other laser hair removal methods in a few key ways.
- BBL laser technology is an intense pulsed light (IPL) laser that uses a broad spectrum of light, making it versatile and suitable for different skin and hair types.
- BBL uses a unique cooling mechanism that helps to protect the skin during the treatment, making it more comfortable for the client and reducing the risk of side effects.
- BBL laser technology has a unique mode called “Sciton ProMotion” that allows the practitioner to adjust the laser energy level, pulse width, and pulse duration to customize the treatment for each client.
- BBL can be used for more than just hair removal; it can also be used to treat pigmentation, acne, and skin redness.
- BBL laser technology is considered one of the most advanced methods of laser hair removal and has been proven effective in reducing hair growth and achieving long-term results.
But Does Our BBL Technology Produce Permanent Results?
BBL laser technology may be your best bet to eliminate unwanted hair permanently. However, keeping a level head is essential, and realizing that it may not always permanently reduce hair growth.
The BBL laser system works by heating the hair follicles and destroying the melanin they contain. The laser heat is absorbed by the melanin and causes damage to the hair follicle, stopping or drastically slowing hair growth.
Depending on factors such as the patient’s hair color and thickness, skin tone, and the treatment location, it may take more than one session to see the desired effects.
Most patients will see a marked slowing of hair growth after a set number of treatments, and some may see permanent hair reduction. Some hair will likely return once some time has passed. However, it will be thinner, lighter, and less prominent than before.
Keep in mind that while BBL laser technology has shown promising results, individual outcomes may differ. Before beginning any laser hair removal therapy, it is recommended that you meet with a trained professional who can evaluate your needs and recommend the most appropriate course of action.
The BBL laser hair removal procedure typically involves the following steps:
- Consultation: Before the treatment, you will consult a qualified laser hair removal practitioner to discuss your needs and determine the best action. They will assess your skin and hair type and recommend the appropriate settings and several treatments.
- Cleaning: The practitioner will clean the area to be treated to remove any oils or other substances that might interfere with the laser.
- Protection: A cooling gel or other protective measures will be applied to the skin to help protect it from laser energy.
- Treatment: The BBL laser will be directed at the area of unwanted hair, and the melanin will absorb the energy in the hair follicles. The heat from the laser will damage the hair follicles, stemming them from producing new hair.
- Aftercare: The practitioner will provide instructions on how to care for the treated area. You may experience some redness and swelling, but this is normal and should reduce within a few hours.
Why Laser Hair Removal Is Still More Practical Than Traditional Hair Removal
There are still many reasons why BBL laser hair removal is preferable to more conventional procedures like shaving, waxing, or tweezing. Permanent hair reduction is possible, and hair growth is slowed or stopped altogether using this treatment, which is also less invasive, takes less time, causes less discomfort than older techniques, and is safe for all skin tones and hair colors.
In addition to making the treatment more tolerable for the patient and less likely to cause adverse reactions, BBL laser technology is equipped with a novel cooling mechanism that shields the skin during the procedure.
Contact Us Today!
BBL laser hair removal at The Natural Aesthetic Medspa is a quick, painless, and permanent way to eliminate unsightly body hair. Our clinic uses cutting-edge BBL laser technology, and our trained staff will tailor your treatment to your specific requirements. Get in touch with us today to get a consultation and start your journey to hair-free skin.